Demi Lovato has just added 17-year-old singer/rapper/songwriter Becky G as the opening act for her Demi World Tour starting September 14th in Miami and ending September 28 in San Diego.
The Los Angeles native and third generation mexicana is making a name for herself across the country, with appearances on the Today Show and this year’s Teen Choice Awards — but here are 11 more things to know about the rising star.
1. She’s a YouTube graduate. Becky G got her start making YouTube videos in which she raps over popular hip hop beats. In fact, it was her cover of Jay Z and Kanye West’s “Otis” that landed her a record deal with Kemosabe / RCA Records, the label founded by hitmaker Dr. Luke, who told Rolling Stone “I was impressed with her confidence. I think she can go as far as she wants.”
2. 2014 has been a year of firsts. Becky G’s latest single, “Shower,” became her first song to land on the Billboard 100, reaching #16. And last year’s “Can’t Get Enough” with Pitbull recently became her first #1 on the Billboard Latin Rhythmic Airplay charts.
3. She’s got J. Lo on speed dial (maybe). In a recent interview, Becky G revealed her 3 biggest influences to be the late Jenni Rivera, TLC’s Lisa “Left Eye” Lopez, and Jennifer Lopez. J. Lo even made a memorable cameo in her “Becky From the Block” video last year so, you know, they’re totally BFFs now.
“I’ve watched ‘Selena’ too many times,” Becky told Rolling Stone of the biopic based on the life of Selena Quintanilla, which made J.Lo a household name. “The part that always stays with me is, ‘You’re either too American for the Mexicans or too Mexican for the Americans; you can never be in the middle.’ But it’s like, ‘No, you really can!'”
4. She’s a model. At 16, Becky G was signed as the newest — and youngest — face of CoverGirl.
5. Just call her Award-winner Becky G. This year the singer took home the trophy for Best New Artist at the Radio Disney Music Awards.
6. She’s a huge fan of Disneyland. Here she is with her beloved familia. Cute!
7. …And former Disney stars. In an interview with Latina last month, she named Zac Efron as her celebrity crush, calling him “my kind of guy. I like guys that are good looking, but not too into themselves.” Previous crush: One Direction’s Niall Horan. We approve of both.
8. Her debut album will make you feel feelings. As Becky G explains, “You’re gonna wanna dance. You’re gonna wanna cry. You’re gonna feel a lot of things. But it’s definitely more on the fun side.” She previously revealed the project would also include music with a “Latin mix,” telling Fuse TV last year, “It’s a part of me and I think it should be a part of my music, too.” She’s currently in the studio putting the finishing touches.
9. She plans on conquering Hollywood, too. “I love acting and I would love to do a drama or a horror movie,” she told us last month during Univision’s Premios Juventud awards show. Watch the video interview here.
10. Demi isn’t the only mega-star she’s touring with. Becky is also opening for Jason Derulo on his “Talk Dirty” tour starting October 21 and Katy Perry on select dates of her “Prismatic” tour in October. Check out her official site for tour dates.
11. She loves her #Beasters. “The way I came up with Beasters as a nickname for my fans is because people call me B for short,” Becky told Fusion. “I feel like a little beast when I’m onstage, and I feel like my fans have that little beast inside of them, too, this hunger for life. It’s also an expression, like ‘That’s beast-mode!’ so I thought it was a cool name for the whole movement.”